Share it if you love it!
Our Paleo Life

Paleo Dinner Rolls | Our Paleo Life
Share it if you love it!

I don’t care who you are, if you’ve ever eaten a piece of bread, a biscuit, a roll, anything bread-y, you will totally miss it once you decide you won’t/can’t eat it anymore. I spent 31 years eating bread and loving it. Yeah, I don’t care if you know how old I am. Anyway, bread, it’s delicious. But for a bunch of very good reasons, us paleo folk don’t eat it.

Some meals really could be made complete with a good biscuit or dinner roll. So when I came across this recipe for paleo dinner rolls, I was all like, “What? Yes please!” Crusty outside, doughy and chewy inside. I was totally sold. And then I made them and my life was complete. No joke.

I make them pretty small, so they’re like little poppers, just two bites and you’re done. I make these rolls small only because I’m lazy. The original recipe calls for rolling the balls of dough in your hands, but I really don’t like getting my hands messy (I know, what kind of cook/mom am I?) so I use my small Pampered Chef scoop and it works perfectly. Probably the medium scoop would be a little better, but I don’t have one and like I said, no messy hands here. So small rolls it is.

Also to note, I have made these with both tapioca starch and arrowroot starch, both with the same results. So if you’re out of one and not the other, go for it. And if you are a butter eating paleo person, slather it on, because butter makes everything better. Pretty sure I should trademark that or something…

Paleo Dinner Rolls | Our Paleo Life
Paleo Dinner Rolls | Our Paleo Life
Click here for the complete recipe

Food and Tools Used In This Recipe

Click the images below to purchase any of these items.

*Affiliate links are included in this post. I receive a small commission from any purchase made by clicking these links. The commissions paid help to cover the costs associated with maintaining this website. Thank you!*

39 Comments on “Paleo Dinner Rolls

1. Natalee

These look great! Where can you find the top two ingredients and how cost effective is this recipe? Could you substitute with non-paleo yet low carb options?

1. Kendra

I buy the arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, and coconut flour locally, the Bob’s Red Mill brand, but if you can’t find it at your local grocery store, or even a health food store, you can find it on Amazon (affiliate links are above). I don’t stock non-paleo ingredients, so I’m not really sure what you could substitute for those ingredients. I haven’t done the math, but I don’t think this recipe is anymore expensive than buying a can of biscuits.

2. Tillie S

This could be a silly question – I am from New Zealand and my little organic shop has Tapioca Flour – Is this the same thing – or similar enough to use? I am really new to the Paleo diet so just trying to sort everything out in my mind. Really appreciate your help and time!

1. Kendra

Not a silly question at all. Tapioca Flour and Tapioca Starch are the same thing, just interchangable terms, because the texture is an awful lot like cornstarch. Good luck on your new diet :)

3. Another False Start | That D Word

4. Laura

So I want to try clean eating/paleo but I am allergic to coconut….and my main hang up with this diet is I love carbs, any suggestions on ways to substitute without coconut products?

1. Kendra

Coconut is a pretty large part of the paleo diet, though you could certainly just skip the foods that use coconut products. For this particular recipe, I don’t know how it would turn out. I don’t feel that almond flour would be a suitable replacement.

When we first started eating paleo, I developed eczema-like rashes on my face and hands. Once I cut back on the coconut, it went away. So it seems that while I’m not necessarily allergic, I do have some sensitivities to large quantities of coconut. It’s just a matter of leaving it out or cutting back on it if you can tolerate some.

You can definitely still eat paleo or clean without coconut, there are just some limitations on what you’ll be able to eat, but you should be able to sub coconut flour with almond flour or coconut oil with another fat in most recipes. Good luck to you :)

5. Nissa

I need help! ;) What sort of consistency should the dough be? Even before I added the egg, the mixture was like a pancake batter, and the additional coconut flour didn’t help. I double/triple/quadruple checked my measurements, but at this rate, I’ll need a ladle instead of a scoop! :)

1. Kendra

I am so sorry I didn’t reply sooner :( We are out of town with spotty reception. Pancake batter is definitely not the right consistency. I would say it’s closer to a really thick brownie batter. What kind of coconut flour did you use? It’s possible it was a problem with that ingredient, if you’re sure the others were spot on. I’m sorry this gave you a hard time.

1. Nissa

That’s okay, thanks so much for the reply! :) I added more starch to get it to probably a thin brownie batter, and they didn’t turn out too badly. I used Bob’s Red Mill organic coconut flour. Last night I used BRM’s tapioca flour, today I used BRM’s arrowroot flour, and it turned out really thin both times.Have you tried using less than 1/2 cup oil? I’m thinking of cutting it down to 1/4 cup and seeing how that works for me.

1. Kendra

I haven’t tried it but if you do, you would have to use a lot more almond flour evaluate they absorb liquids differently and the texture might be different as well. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out.

6. Angela

I have now made these twice….a big thumbs up from the family. Have made sme bigger but flatter ones (they are in th oven right now). My son previously took salad wraps to school and I’m hoping this might work out for a salad roll, fingers crossed. Thanks for this awesome recipe.

7. JB

what’s the carb count on these? I’m on phase 3 of the hcg diet and the paleo diet works great for this phase since I have to avoid sugars and starches.

1. Kendra

I’m not sure. I’ve never counted carbs, calories, or anything like that. I don’t believe I’ve heard of the hcg diet. What is it?

2. Emily

I’m not on HCG but using Arrowroot flour and regular cookie/ice cream scoop I calculated 1 carb count per roll (I got 9 rolls from the recipe).

1. katrin

with tapioca flour there are around 10g carbs per roll, i started to watch my carbs because i am eating paleo for two month now and haven’t lost much weight. but i feel great anyway ;)

8. carol

I want to say THANK YOU. These were yummy. I made them along side our meat/sausage sauce with spaghetti squash. I had just recently made my two young kids’ eating habits stricter with paleo. They loved them. My 6 yr old son’s exact words, while giggling were,” WOW I loooooooove them.” I appologize for the ramble and poor typing. I am just so excited to be able to enjoy dinner rolls with sauce once in awhile! :)

9. Theo

These are straight from paleospirit’s site where she came up with these to help her son ? Shouldnt u credit someone elses hard work? Furthermore, her recipe was posted months before yours was posted?

1. Kendra

I absolutely credit those whose recipes I use, as I did with this one as well. If you read the post, you would see that I linked directly to her recipe.

10. natalie

Just made these and wow so lovely and easy to make! However I was just wondering if there was something I could do to make them rise more? Maybe beating the egg white separately or adding baking soda? I’m not too sure but any help would be appreciated!

1. Kendra

I haven’t really thought to make any mods to make them rise differently, they seem to bake up airy enough for me. Your two suggestions definitely seem like it would help. If you give them a try, let me know how it turns out.

11. Nikki

I made these today and my loved them. I’ll definitely be making them again. Mine turned out pretty flat and the oil separated leaving a coating of oil on the parchment paper but the texture and chewiness was really satisfying. I’m going try next time to get them as fluffy as yours look in the picture. I used arrowroot and expeller pressed coconut oil instead of olive oil.

12. Renee

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! I have just started to transition over to a paleo-ish eating style and after the exact same amount of years eating bread (sometimes alone with butter–yeah hence the reason for the eating style change) I didn’t think I could go without my beloved dinner rolls… yea for you!

13. Lula

These look great! Would leaving out the salt make a difference? I’m thinking more for when I want to use with jam/sweet spreads..

1. Kendra

If it were me, I would leave the salt in. The combo of salty and sweet is my favorite, although these aren’t really salty in my opinion. Maybe you could just use half the salt, though I would still leave it in.

14. MamaV

Do you think you could use these to make stuffing for Thanksgiving? I am trying to find something to use to make a good paleo bread type stuffing….

15. Jamie

We made these rolls this week and they absolutely satisfied our bread-loving taste buds! We are traveling to non allergy-friendly family for Thanksgiving and are bringing all our own food because of it. Do you think these freeze well if made ahead?

16. Thanksgiving | Hoosier CrossFit 6-Week Challenge

17. Katie McKeon

I just made these tonight to go with our chili. They were great! Thanks for referring the recipe. Also, the ice cream scoop suggestion worked great too.

18. Mark Blooman

The use of any starch is essentially sugar. It is non complex high GM carbs and everybit as blood sugar unfriendly as sugar.

Delicious – oh yeah. A substitute? No. They are paleo naughty.

19. Eileen

Have you (or anyone else) tried these with an egg substitute such a Chia? I am reacting to eggs as well as grains, dairy etc those rolls look so good I want try them!