The Easiest Way to Jumpstart Your Metabolism & Kill Cravings
Reset and cleanse your body with budget-friendly & easy meal plan
I have such a treat for you today! The lovely ladies of Merit + Fork are here to share an amazing paleo recipe that has quickly become a favorite in my own home. I’ll let Nicole take it from here and give you a little intro of herself and Elizabeth, her partner in crime. And seriously, these two are adorable and are just so perfect together!
Howdy! We’re Elizabeth and Nicole of Merit + Fork, and we’re SO excited to be contributing as guest bloggers to Our Paleo Life.
As a brief introduction, we aspire to inspire readers to live their best lives through clean eating, creativity, and healthy living with an emphasis on keeping realistic goals, because honestly? Perfection is a bore.
We’ll be back once a month with fun recipes and little doses of creativity through DIY tutorials and creative inspiration. This month, we have Nicole’s amazingly tasty paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe on tap, as illustrated by Elizabeth. Enjoy!
Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies… where do I even begin?! Any paleo foodie, whether you’ve been of the paleo persuasion for a few months or several years, has sought out some sort of chocolate chip cookie recipe. Like most people, you’ve probably tried a handful of paleo cookie recipes yourself… or maybe you haven’t! (I simply can’t imagine that scenario. A cookie-less life is no life in my eyes.) Myself? I’ve tried at least 100 paleo cookie variations.
Unfortunately, as it goes when recipe testing, a lot of those batches were fails. Thankfully, cookie mistakes are quite forgiving compared to other baked goods and most of the time you can still eat them… keyword: most of the time.
You don’t really know what rock bottom is, though, until you accidentally drop a hot sheet of cookies on the ground and find yourself kneeling, pinching & scooping up hot, crumbling pieces of cookie off the kitchen floor. To eat. For the sake of recipe testing. The kitchen floor that was cleaned so long ago you’re afraid to even entertain that thought. That vision still haunts me to this day, 6+ months later. *shudder*
I tried baking with gelatin for the first time when testing this recipe and afterwards thought to myself “I’m never going back to cookies sans gelatin.” The chewy texture it lends is amazing! Oh, and did I mention these bad boys are egg and nut-free?! Zoobyzoobyzoo! Exciting, I know!
If you’re used to baking almond flour-based cookies like me, you might be familiar with the hard-to-stay-crisp dilemma. The moisture in the almond flour seems to make it near impossible to keep your cookies crisp when storing them. Since this recipe uses a trio of nut-free flours, you get a crispy edge that’s there to stay.
I even brought a container of these cookies to a Mexican restaurant with my family and for the first time, ever, we SKIPPED getting our favorite dessert of sopapillas and instead shared these delicious paleo treats. THAT should say something… these cookies won over fried pillows of dough drizzled with honey, cinnamon-sugar, whipped cream and ice cream. So, when I say this is the Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie… I really do mean it!
This recipe has been tested extensively using the ingredients and instructions provided. We cannot guarantee your success with ingredient substitutions and changes to the baking process.
Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup grass-fed butter ghee, OR coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch
- ⅓ cup coconut flour if using any brand other than Honeyville Coconut Flour, use a slightly scant ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp grass-fed gelatin we use Great Lakes Unflavored Beef Gelatin
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips use Enjoy Life brand for a dairy-free, soy-free option
- Preheat oven to 350 & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients (except coconut sugar & chocolate chips) together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk butter/oil, sweeteners, & vanilla together until a brown syrup forms. Slowly pour & whisk into flour mixture until dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula and let dough sit for 1-2 mins before forming cookies, using a tablespoon for consistent sizing.
- • For soft, chewy cookies - simply roll out dough balls, just barely flatten the tops, and place on baking sheet.• For chewy-inside & crispy-outside cookies - roll dough balls, then slightly flatten to 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inch diameter.• For crispy cookies - Roll dough balls, then, flatten to 2 inch diameter.
- Bake for 10-12 mins and let cool on a wire rack before serving.