Share it if you love it!
Our Paleo Life

Kids Paleo Lunches | Our Paleo Life
Share it if you love it!

When we decided to switch the entire family to a Paleo diet, my first concern was “What the heck do I make my kids for lunch?”. I mean, the only way a kid will eat lunch is if it’s served between two slices of bread, right? The first solution was to make “paleo” bread. Basically, tasteless quick bread. It satisfied their need for a sandwich, especially when served open-face and covered in egg salad. But I didn’t really like it and didn’t want to have to make bread all the time (not that it was hard). Plus, that’s really just paleo-fying something, not truly paleo. So I came up with other ideas.

Luckily, our kids have always liked fruits and veggies. We have never had to hide them in other foods or trick them to eat their greens. But I didn’t want them to miss their sandwiches and I wanted them to have a nice variety of foods everyday.

I try to balance out their lunches with a protein (usually eggs, meat, or egg/chicken/tuna salad), some fruits and veggies, and then a little snack (like dates, homemade Larabars, trail mix, applesauce, etc). It’s never really the same and I think they really love it that way. And the lunch boxes always come back empty so I know they really do love it.

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTuna Salad; Applesauce; Carrot Sticks; Cucumbers; Plum Tomato; Strawberry; Blueberries; Dates; Nuts

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifePapaya; Egg Salad with Paleo Mayo; Cucumber Sticks; Plum Tomatoes; Yellow Bell Peppers

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTurkey BLTA Roll-Ups; Dates; Strawberries; Carrot Sticks; Applesauce; Chocolate Chia Pudding

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTuna Salad; Mango Chunks; Carrots; Plum Tomatoes; Strawberries; Chocolate Brownie Bites

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTurkey BLTA Roll-Ups; Strawberries; Carrot Sticks; Cucumber; Grapes; Chocolate Brownie Bites

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTurkey BLTA Roll-Ups; Strawberries; Dates; Grapes; Sugar Snap Peas

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeMango; Hard-Boiled Eggs; Cucumber Sticks; Carrot Sticks; Tomatoes; Paleo Ranch Dressing

Kids Paleo Lunch Ideas | Our Paleo LifeTurkey BLTA Roll-Ups; Date; Strawberries; Mango; Carrot Sticks; Cucumber Sticks

Also, I really love these little divided Ziploc tupperware containers. They come in a 2-pack at the grocery store for under $4. I need to get more because I’d really like to prepare a few days worth of lunches at the same time (of course some stuff would have to wait until the day of to add to the lunch boxes).

Occasionally I’ll add a full salad in the main part, with a small container of dressing on the side. That’s also a hit. Especially when there’s bacon involved. Just sayin’…

Food and Tools Used In These Lunches

Click the images below to purchase any of these items.

Apples

Chia Seeds

Chia Seeds

74 Comments on “Kids Paleo Lunches

1. April Favourites: Loveable Links | redrunninghood

2. Menu Plan {4.21-27} | Frugal Granola

3. Sheri Carroll

I love these containers too! I loved the food ideas, but had a question. Does the applesauce, egg salad, pudding etc… leak? I never put the gooey stuff in because I don’t know if it will make it to lunch! Also, my son loves deviled eggs but I didn’t think they would transport well. My son is in first grade and I’m sure the lunches really get bumped around, but I’d liked to figure out a way to send some of these foods because he’s a picky eater on a GF diet. Thanks! Great post.

1. Kendra

My daughter is also in first grade and we never had any issues with leaking. The seal is pretty good so long as you make sure to snap the top on all the way. The deviled eggs might get knocked around and get less “pretty” but they’re still good. I was nervous the first few times I sen the leak-prone stuff but never had one leak in the 4 months I’ve been using them.

1. Kendra

I found them with the rest of the tupperware things at my grocery store. I imagine that WalMart and Target would carry them as well. They weren’t the expensive ones you can get online, they are intended to be more disposable but they lasted us half the school year (would have been longer, but we didn’t start until school was halfway through).

4. Back To School Paleo Nutrition 2013 « AdvancedHealing.Com

5. Ettinger Family Healthy Recipes | Cohn Health Institute | Cohn Health Institute

6. Penelope

Do you store them in the fridge or the freezer? I plan to make a week’s worth of these all at one time.

1. Kendra

I have yet to make more than 1 day in advance, I will be working on that this school year. But I would suggest storing them in the fridge. I would leave some items out and put them in the day of, like the shelf stable foods, but that may just be a personal preference.

7. What is wrong with me ?

8. School Lunch Wars | preachteach

9. BankerMommy

Eating clean at home has been easy but now I am Starting to get nervous about kindergarten lunches, thank you for the suggestions :)

1. Kendra

I have never had a problem with the guac browning, but I think that is due to the lime juice. In my pre-paleo days, I made guac with a powdered mix, and it always turned brown. I’ve noticed that the fresh stuff doesn’t.

10. Crossfit Federal Way – School Lunch

11. Back to School Nutrition | CrossFit ConvergenceCrossFit Convergence

12. Health Nugget of the Week | Healthy Way Healing

13. Myra Simpson

Cool post! I have my own lunch/bento blog, and I am starting my Paleo journey and transitioning my child’s lunches as well.

I use EasyLunchboxes. I used to use Ziploc when I started packing lunches, but I end up throwing them away when they warped really bad since I have to microwave to reheat my lunches at work. The same set of ELBs have lasted me 3 years now. We have no issues with leaking, since I don’t pack soups in it–at least not for my child, I do, but travel horizontally in my car, but I pack applesauce, yogurts etc in hers.

14. Lisa Thompson

I love your kid lunches! We tried the Turkey BLTA roll ups today and the kids (and I) loved them! Quick question….I really want to make the egg items you show but we pretty much always eat eggs for breakfast. What do you/they eat in the morning on the days the kids have egg salad for lunch? I don’t want to have too many eggs in a day:)

15. Paleo Diet for Kids | paleodiet and recipes

16. Back to School: Lunches | Stephanie Tyler, ND

17. JupiterGirl

Thank you! I have a really picky 6th grader, she won’t eat tuna, egg or turkey. I’ve noticed her grades have been going down; do you know of any correlation between Paleo and lack of concentration? Do you think she could just need more calories? She’s refused to let me buy bread for her lunch, but I’m starting to wonder if she’s getting enough to eat?

1. Kendra

Hmm, I haven’t heard of any correlation, and not getting enough calories can certainly be an issue. I know a lot of people (myself included) find they’re more hungry on paleo simply because you’re not getting filled up with a ton of carbs. If she’ll eat chicken and/or beef, maybe chicken salad or meatballs/mini meatloaves for lunch? Carb-heavy veggies can help too if she will eat them. And maybe a paleo bread replacement, like a coconut-flour or almond-flour based bread would help.

I feel like I’m just rambling and not offering much help, but I hope it is a little. Good luck.

1. JupiterGirl

Thanks for prompt response! It only occurred to me in last 24 hours, so I have just started investigating, but have already read some similar comments ie:she might need more calories and I will re-introduce potatoes (she only like sweet potatoes when they’re in the form of fries with ketchup!). Yes she eats chicken, bacon and meatballs are made weekly in big batches! She’ll happily eat a salad, but often doesn’t eat the protein. And she’s a pre-teen girl, so got our work cut out already!! Lol

2. Dianne

I’m glad you are considering all these options for your daughter. I suspect you are on to something about her calories. This is such a time of change for her and her body. Additionally, I’d read up on how girls at about her age as a group traditionally dumb down in school for crazy sociological and cultural reasons.

18. Laurie

Tupperware is an actual brand, separate from Ziploc.

There, I said it. :) My mom sold Tupperware for most of my youth, so it’s one of those things like the correct pronunciation of a name that just hangs in my head and I have to correct it! LOL!

Thanks for the post – I’m trying to go “NO GRAIN” this year, and this is a great help for me, as well as giving me ideas for my son.

1. Kendra

Ha! Then Tupperware did an amazing job at branding, just like Kleenex, since those words have become the generic terms for those types of products regardless of brands. But I totally get where you’re coming from :) Good luck on your grain-free adventure!

2. Robyn

Funny you should mention that – it was bugging me too. We (in Australia) don’t use ‘Tupperware’ as a generic name for plastic containers. I don’t know what we use but it certainly struck a wrong note to call it Tupperware when it is just disposable plastic! But the meals are fantastic – I’m SOOOO impressed! I wonder if I could size these up for my hubby?!

19. Michele

I love these, but beware the empty containers! I found out last month that my daughter has been taking Top Ramen to school (her father’s purchase) and trading it with a friend for a lovely bagel every day. The poor girl’s mother! She has no idea. I tried to tell her, but she didn’t understand what I was saying. LOL

20. Laurie F

Do you worry about giving your kids raw egg? It’d love to make egg or chicken salad but the raw egg makes me nervous!

1. Kendra

I had to think for a minute and figure out what you were talking about, but I realized you are probably referencing the mayo. I have never had a problem and it has never crossed my mind to be concerned about the eggs in the mayo. If you are worried, you should be safe using pasteurized eggs. All store-bought mayo also contains eggs, as well.

21. trish

Do the foods stay put in the compartments of these containers?? even the apple sauce? Just wondering before I go searching for them!

1. Kendra

Yup, everything stays in it’s own compartment with the Ziploc brand containers. I know there are other similar-looking containers that are not leak-proof, which is why I went with the Ziploc brand. Even though they are technically the disposable type of containers, I’ve been using them for about a year, and they’ve held up just fine, still not leaking.

22. Kids Paleo Lunches - Our Paleo Life | EFM King ...

23. Weekly Lunch Prep | Making It Gluten Free

24. 9 Kids Paleo Lunches

25. Wednesday 1.29.14 | CrossFit EXP

26. Kim

You really should avoid the plastic! Try out Planetbox lunch systems. I’ve been packing my 4 Paleo kids their lunches in them for the last 3+ years. They’re fantastic! No chemical leaching. Enviro-friendly. Easy enough for my youngest to open/close. In the summer we pack them up for picnics, beach trips, etc. They make adult sizes too for my husband and myself. It’s made Paleo eating on the go a breeze. I can’t praise them enough!

27. Strides Against The Grain

28. Weekend Link Love - Edition 281 | Mark's Daily Apple

29. Wednesday Training | Dansville Fitness Club

30. paleo lunches | DIY Woodworking Projects

31. paleo lunches | Paleo Recipe Book

32. Carol

Since so many of us are immigrants I read how good it is for us to eat like our ancestors did. Since I have a Mediteranian background it us easy for me to eat healthy-hummus, tabooley, eggplant, etc.

1. Kendra Benson

I have never officially written up a recipe for either of these (it’s on my list but I have a pretty long list right now ;) . For the tuna, I used canned tuna and my Paleo Lime Mayo. Then I add some chopped dill pickles and some sea salt. For the egg salad, it’s hard boiled eggs, Paleo Lime Mayo, a little yellow mustard, sea salt, and chopped dill pickles. Sorry I don’t have exact measurements, I usually just eyeball it, which is why I still don’t have a written recipe yet.

33. Tammi

I just found you Via Nom Nom Paleo on Facebook! Yeah! I am so happy I did. lunch is a BIG issue. My 13yo won’t eat any thing (at school)that some one might point out as weird. But, these ideas look great. I can’t wait to read the rest of your posts!

34. Brianna

thanks for the great ideas! my kids are younger so they won’t eat that much, so i’ll just lower the portion sizes! they are going to love it!

35. Fabulous Apps for your Preschooler…Healthy Paleo School Lunches…etc… -

36. 31 Day Paleo Kick Start – Day 1 | Queen Adaldrida's Castle

37. Fit! By Jess – Back To School Lunches

38. Janet

My family is new to paleo and we question EVERYTHING! So in all my whining about no beans or peas, you give your kids sugar snap peas. Are you a legume-friendly paleo?

1. Kendra Benson

We eat them on occasion. Some legumes are better than others and we don’t typically buy them, but when I see fresh sugar snap peas at the farmer’s market, it’s really hard for me to resist them :) I never make beans at home but we do sometimes eat them when we go out to Chipotle. I guess you could consider those our cheats. Although Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser have recently stated that legumes are not all evil. Here’s a link if you’d like to listen to their podcast about it: http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/25/episode-214-guest-chris-kresser/

39. Megan Claborn

I’m currently trying to ease into a Paleo diet and this was very helpful! I love that these are foods that I like AND don’t have to put a ton of effort into it. Thanks so much!

40. Johnb187

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? Theres lots of people that I believe would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks ddeceebgdfbb

41. 5 Healthy & Fun Kids Lunch Box Ideas! | Forte Fitness | Orlando Boot Camp | Fitness Boot Camp in Orlando FL

42. Lunch Ideas for Kids

43. Heidi

How do you keep the foods cold? I always worry about botulism or my kids getting sick from meat or eggs sitting out unrefrigerated since it’s in their backpack for about 4 hours until they eat it. Is an ice pack sufficient?

1. Kendra Benson

I used to put an ice pack in with their lunches, but eventually got lazy enough and forgot it. Their lunchboxes are insulated, so I think the food stays cool enough. We’ve never had any issues (knock on wood), but if you are concerned about it, an ice pack will definitely do the trick.

44. Paleo / Primal Lunches (school or work!) | Healthy Way Healing