Homemade Larabar Recipe
Back in our pre-paleo days, I had perfected the chocolate chip cookie. The secret was the salt. You had to have the right ratio of salty to the sweet. The same goes for these bars. If you leave out the salt, you will be sorely disappointed.
Clean Ingredients for Paleo Larabars
- Cashews (I used roasted/salted)
- Medjool Dates, pitted
- Sea Salt
- Chocolate Chips (we use the Enjoy Life brand)
The thing I love most about these homemade Larabar recipes (don’t forget to try the Apple Pie Bites, they are my favorite!) is that they require very little ingredients. Why bother paying a buck a bar at the store when you can make them fresh at home and in any flavor combination you want?
- 1 1/2 cup Cashews, I used roasted/salted
- 18 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Pecans, finely chopped, optional
- Pour the cashews, dates, and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse gravel.
- While the processor is running, add a thin stream of water, about 1 tsp, maybe less depending on the moistness of your dates.
- Stop the processor and check the mixture inside. If it sticks together when you smush it, then you've got the right consistency. If it's still crumbly, add more water. You don't want to add too much water because the bites will be too sticky.
- When you've got the right consistency, add the chocolate chips. Mix by hand (this may require a bit of elbow grease).
- Press mixture into a parchment-lined 8x8 baking pan. Chill in the refrigerator about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Use parchment flaps to lift the bars out of the pan and cut into bars. Makes 8 bars, depending on what size you cut them.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or so, if they last that long.
- Rather than forming into bars in the 8x8 baking pan, scoop mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and roll until smooth, then roll to coat in finely chopped pecans. Store the same way. *NOTE* Nutrition is for 8 bars, not rolling into smaller balls.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 349Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 0mgSodium 311mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 5gSugar 43gProtein 5g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate