Cauliflower is kind of like this miracle veggie. You can prepare it so many ways and transform it into things that we would have never imagined 20 years ago. Yet here we are, in 2021, and if you want it, cauliflower can become it.
The first time I attempted to make cauliflower rice at home, I decided I hated cauliflower rice. It was mushy, flavorless, and most decidedly not rice. I gave up on that side dish and just went without any “rice” type dish for many years.
Fast forward, and now every company seems to make frozen cauliflower rice now. I thought I’d give it another shot and it turns out there’s a big difference between what I now buy and what I had attempted to make.
The difference is that I was shredding the entire cauliflower head, but these little bags of frozen riced cauliflower is actually just the stems diced up. WORLD of difference! No mushiness, has a bite to it, definitely a decent sub for rice dishes.
So that’s exactly what I suggest you use in this super flavorful cheesy side dish that has become a very fast favorite in our house. We rarely get it onto plates because everyone just grabs a fork and digs right into the casserole dish (heathens, I know).
Added Savory Salt Blend
So what makes this dish so great? The flavor is simple yet full, the texture is spot on, and there is a cheesy, crispy topping that just ties it all together. Explorado Market’s Savor Salt Seasoning Blend is the backbone to the flavor, and our favorite Unseasoned Pork Rind Crumbs add the perfect crunch on top.
Give this a try, it will become a favorite in your home as well 🙂
- 3oz (6 Tbsp) Heavy Cream
- 2oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Explorado Market Savory Salt Seasoning Blend
- 1 cup (3oz) Shredded Cheddar Cheese (plus more for topping)
- 8oz (about 1 1/4 cups) Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- Unseasoned Pork Rind Crumbs, for topping
- Mix together heavy cream, cream cheese, egg, and Savory Salt Seasoning Blend with a fork, mashing the cream cheese and whisking to combine. It’s okay if there are some lumps.
- Stir in the cheese and cauliflower rice until everything is evenly coated and combined. It will be a bit soupy.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes (or until the center is barely jiggly when you move the pan back and forth a bit). Top with some extra cheddar and a sprinkling of pork rind crumbs and broil on high for 2 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven.
- Cool about 10-15 minutes before eating. You don't have to do this part, but it lets things firm up a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgCarbohydrates: 2gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g