The Easiest Way to Jumpstart Your Metabolism & Kill Cravings
Reset and cleanse your body with budget-friendly & easy meal plan
Paleo Zuppa Toscana
Zuppa toscana is a broad term meaning “soup in the style of Tuscany”. Typically, classic zuppa toscana is a soup made from extra virgin olive oil, onion, kale, zucchini, cannellini beans, potatoes, celery, carrots, tomato pulp, salt, powdered chili, toasted Tuscan bread, and Italian bacon.
The north American version is typically made with Italian sausage, crushed red peppers, diced onion, bacon, garlic puree, chicken bouillon, heavy cream, potatoes, and kale. This version is widely known and accepted as the Italian standard. The American reference dish for zuppa toscana has been made famous by Olive Garden. And if you’re living within the guidelines of a Paleo diet, Olive Garden is a no go.
Copycat Zuppa Toscana
This Paleo version is incredibly delicious and fits nicely into your clean way of eating:
- Avocado or Olive Oil
- Garlic (minced)
- Yellow Onions
- Italian Pork Sausage
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Dried Parsley
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Bay Leaf
- Red Potatoes
- Baby Spinach or frozen Spinach/Kale Blend
- Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
- Otto’s Cassava Flour
Dairy-Free Copycat Zuppa Toscana
- 2 Tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 medium Yellow Onions diced
- 2 lbs Italian Pork Sausage we like Jimmy Dean Sausage in this soup
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes adds just a hit of heat, optional
- Sea Salt to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 cups Red Potatoes diced fairly small
- 3 cups Baby Spinach or 1 1/2 cup frozen Spinach/Kale Bland
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
- Scant 1/2 cup Cassava Flour
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the avocado oil. When hot, add the onions and garlic. Saute until fragrant and slightly translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until no pink remains. Add the oregano, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-high heat and gently boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Taste the soup base and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- While the soup is cooking, whisk the almond milk and cassava flour until smooth.
- After the potatoes are cooked, add the spinach/kale to the soup. Stir to combine and cook until wilted/thawed. Add the milk mixture and stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute to thicken.
- Serve hot. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.