Thumbprint cookies are kind of a staple around the holidays. Little buttery shortbread mounds filled with fruity jam. But that’s not quite what I’ve got for you today. Not only are these little thumbprint cookies grain- and dairy-free, but they are actually healthy for you!
While these may look like normal thumbprint cookies, there’s a big difference. The filling isn’t a fruity jam, but instead is a low-carb high-fat powerhouse: Fat Fit Go. Packed with healthy fats, like MCT oil, Fat Fit Go is the perfect addition to these lightly sweet little cookies.
Another difference is that these cookies are stored in the fridge and are best served cold. As much as I love fresh-from-the-oven cookies, these actually get better when they are chilled. Plus, keeping them cold helps the Fat Fit Go stay in a solid state giving you a creamier bite and keeps the cookie from crumbling when you eat it.
Fat Fit Go comes in two flavors (Original Chocolate and Tropical Margarita), and I still can’t decide which one I like best in these cookies. The chocolate is very mild, not an overpowering chocolatey flavor, and the margarita has a lime flavor that compliments the cookies just perfectly.
I like to make a big batch of these (like triple!) and keep some in the freezer. They freeze and thaw (in the fridge, overnight) really well, perfect for a quick snack. Our kids love these as an after-school snack and I love that they’re eating healthy with very little effort on my part. Win win.
We also have a higher-carb version of this cookie that is great for a pre-workout snack. Sweetened with pure maple syrup, it’s a fast-carb that’s perfect for added energy before an intense workout that compliments the MCT in the Fat Fit Go. Check out the Pre-Workout Powerhouse Cookie recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 5 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/3 cup ChocZero Maple Syrup, or preferred zero-sugar liquid sweetener
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 packs Fat Fit Go, any flavor
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have a baking/cookie sheet ready (no need to grease it or line it with parchment).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Using a silicone spatula, combine all ingredients until the dough is smooth and holds it's shape.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop uniform balls of cookie dough, roll into a smooth ball, and set 1-2" apart on the baking sheet. Using either your thumb, the back of a round teaspoon, the handle of a wooden drink muddler, or other similar-sized item, press an indentation into each cookie dough ball, almost all the way to the bottom.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Remove and place the baking sheet on a wire cooling rack. The indentations may have risen slightly in the oven, and if they did, press them back down gently as the cookies cool. With a metal spatula, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let cool completely on the cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, knead the Fat Fit Go packets until the oils are reincorporated (about 20-ish seconds). Tear of the corner and fill each cookie with the Fat Fit Go (we get about 7 cookies from each pouch).
- Transfer the filled cookies to the fridge (on a flat surface) to cool completely and let the Fat Fit Go solidify. Once cooled completed, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Can be frozen for up to 3 months (thaw in the fridge overnight for best results).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3.5gProtein: 2g