This version of the cookie is meant to have a higher carb count for explosive energy (pre-workout), keep reading to learn why. If you’re interested in the LOW CARB version of this delicious cookie, you can find that recipe here: Low-Carb Thumbprint Cookies
Kendra and I have a process. I tell her what my recipe concept is (and why) and she launches her exploration in the test kitchen. I’m actually not allowed to assist (we know our boundaries after 15 years of marriage).
Luckily we have nearly every paleo / keto ingredient on hand at any given time. It makes it easier when I plead with her to “just make this now”. Sometimes the recipe creation process takes weeks, sometimes it’s right on the first try. It’s taken years of practice using un-common ingredients (ie: not using wheat and sugar), she’s exceptionally amazing at creating food that tastes good.
These Power Cookies have a purpose.
We created Fat Fit Go to help us have a portable way to have incredibly healthy energy (derived from fats). The product is comprised of 24 grams of plant based fats and just a couple carbs and grams of protein. It’s the perfect fat bomb to have ready to eat, right in your pocket.
Targeted Keto is a methodology where you consume a higher amount of carbs prior (targeted) to your workout.
If you’re fat adapted (have been in ketosis for awhile now) and you’re an athlete that needs explosive power (sprints, heavy lifts, or a regular Crossfit workout) there’s an incredible way to create the right energy.
First off, your body is being powered by ketones which is the most efficient long term energy source. Not only are ketones helping you improve a deep list of health issues you could be suffering from, it’s also giving you long-term aerobic energy.
Secondly, if you consume carbs at the right intervals you’ll be able to keep your ketone powered, sustainable energy while also introducing the explosive power fast-acting carbs provide.
How to Increase Power with Carbs
On days where you plan to need explosive power, 20-30 minutes prior to the workout you should consume 5-20 grams of fast acting carbs (not starchy carbs like fruit). The carbs you consume to get the biggest benefit must enter the bloodstream right away and not be slowly digested.
When you workout, your body will know how to utilize the carbs for explosion-like power (heavy lifts, etc). If done correctly you’ll expend the energy from these fast acting carbs during the workout. Your body won’t need to produce insulin (don’t need to worry about these carbs being stored as fat for later).
With all of this in mind, the goal with creating these cookies was to get the perfect dose of fast acting sugars / carbs while also getting the fats your body is accustom to (when you’re fat adapted).
You can easily regulate how many carbs you’re getting by eating the right amount of cookies prior to your workout. Just think, cookies for a better workout. Sounds like a winner.
You can purchase Fat Fit Go here. If you’re keto, you know how important healthy fats are to ensuring you’re hitting your macros. Each serving of Fat Fit Go contains 87% of the calories derived from plant based fats.
You can also find our low-carb version of this cookie. The low-carb version is perfect for those who don’t need huge, explosive power at the gym. Both cookies are perfect for freezing and having on hand for that cookie moment we all experience.
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 5 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 packs Fat Fit Go, any flavor
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have a baking/cookie sheet ready (no need to grease it or line it with parchment).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Using a silicone spatula, combine all ingredients until the dough is smooth and holds it's shape.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop uniform balls of cookie dough, roll into a smooth ball, and set 1-2" apart on the baking sheet. Using either your thumb, the back of a round teaspoon, the handle of a wooden drink muddler, or other similar-sized item, press an indentation into each cookie dough ball, almost all the way to the bottom.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Remove and place the baking sheet on a wire cooling rack. The indentations may have risen slightly in the oven, and if they did, press them back down gently as the cookies cool. With a metal spatula, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let cool completely on the cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, knead the Fat Fit Go packets until the oils are reincorporated (about 20-ish seconds). Tear of the corner and fill each cookie with the Fat Fit Go (we get about 7 cookies from each pouch).
- Transfer the filled cookies to the fridge (on a flat surface) to cool completely and let the Fat Fit Go solidify. Once cooled completed, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Can be frozen for up to 3 months (thaw in the fridge overnight for best results).
- We tested this with honey and didn't care for the taste. If honey is all you have, you can use it but the taste will be slightly different.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate