Ever since we bought a mini waffle maker at Target, we make waffles all. the. time. And by “we”, I mean my kids are putting something, anything, in that waffle maker on a near-daily basis. They like to mix up ingredients and create new ideas, most of which are good, but not all turn out well.
Paleo Protein Waffles
My son’s favorite thing to make is what he calls “banana mush” and toss it in the waffle maker. It’s a spin on my Paleo “Faux”tmeal, so it has that banana-y flavor, but in mushy waffle form. It tastes really great, but the texture needed major improvements.
This recipe is close to our original Paleo Waffles recipe, but with the addition of protein powder and, of course, bananas. We prefer to top our pancakes with nut butter, chocolate chips, and maple syrup. Classic, delicious, never disappoints.
- Preheat your waffle maker according to it's manufacturer directions. We use this mini waffle maker. Make sure to use non-stick spray if your waffle maker needs it, the mini one we use does not.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white with an electric mixer (hand or stand) until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and mash together until mostly smooth (you will still have lumps from the bananas, but mash them up as much as you can).
- Gently fold in the egg whites completely, being careful not to overmix and deflate.
- Using a large (3 Tbsp capacity) cookie scoop (or a scant 1/4 cup), drop waffle batter in the preheated waffle maker. Let cook until steam no longer rises from the waffle maker and the top opens easily without sticking, usually 2-3 minutes per waffle.
- Remove waffle and set aside. Continue until all batter has been cooked.
- Serve warm, topped with nut butter, chocolate chips, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Or fresh berries. Or anything you want 🙂
* If you don't have protein powder, you can sub it with Tapioca Starch (this will change the nutrition value, adding more carbs and reducing the protein)
* Nutrition Facts are calculated using Iconic Vanilla Protein and Unsweetened Almond Milk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 waffles Serving Size: 1 waffle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 13gNet Carbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate