This post has been updated in 2020 (original post date was in 2018)
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
I could live the rest of my life eating nothing but soups and salads. And chocolate. Obviously. But for actual nutritious (non-dessert) food, soup and salad is where it’s at.
Keto Food Options
I grew up loving any type of creamy soup, though beer cheese soup and broccoli cheese were my 2 favorites. Maintaining a paleo lifestyle for 5 years did wonders to heal my gut and when switching over to a more ketogenic lifestyle, I was able to reintroduce dairy without experiencing my previous issues with lactose, bringing the creamy soups back into my life.
Family Favorite Soup – and it’s Keto!
This low-carb broccoli cheddar soup has a wonderfully smokiness to it that really puts it over the top. If you’re not a fan of that smoky flavor, you can use regular cheddar and paprika. This is a family favorite around here and I’m sure it will be in your home too.
- 5 Tbsp Butter, divided
- 1 small Yellow Onion, diced small
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 3 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth, homemade is best (use vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3-4 cups Broccoli Florets and Stems, chopped small
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper Powder, or to taste
- 8 oz Smoked Cheddar Cheese, grated (see notes)
- In a stockpot, melt 1 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the diced onions and saute until soft and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and stir to cook about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining 4 Tbsp butter and the cream cheese to the pot. Stir until it's all melted and thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and cream to the pot and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally as it thickens.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, paprika, ground mustard and chipotle pepper powder. Stir to combine everything and continue to simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the burner. Add almost all of the shredded cheddar to the pot (reserving some for topping later) and stir to combine. Let it sit for a minute or two to let the cheese melt then stir it again.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and garnish with extra shredded cheese. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- If you can't find smoked cheddar cheese, use sharp cheddar instead. It will still taste great, just less smoky. Double the smoked paprika if you are using regular sharp cheddar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 30gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 1069mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate