"Baked" Cinnamon Apples - Our Paleo Life
Our Paleo Life

“Baked” Cinnamon Apples

Baked Cinnamon Apples | Our Paleo Life

This is probably the easiest, quickest breakfast or snack ever! I make it for the kids and husband every morning with their eggs.

The original recipe called for nuking the apples in a plastic ziplock bag, but that freaked me out. It works perfectly in a glass bowl or jar, so that’s what I do. The important part is to make sure you vent the lid for the steam to escape. Every now and then, the lid flies off my bowl in the microwave, but it really makes no difference that I’ve noticed in the way the apples cook.

4.0 from 3 reviews
"Baked" Cinnamon Apples

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 1 Sweet Apple (no green apples allowed)
  • ½ Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
  • 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • Dash of Ground Nutmeg
  • Small Glass Bowl
  • Plastic Wrap or Lid for the Bowl
Instructions
  1. Using an apple slicer (or a knife), cut your apple into wedges. You can either peel it before or after (I prefer after). Cut wedges in half, if you prefer, or if this is for little ones.
  2. Put the coconut oil in the small bowl (I use a Pyrex dish for this) and microwave it for about 15-20 seconds until it's melted.
  3. Place apples and all other ingredients into the glass bowl. Mix it around to get the oil and spices on all the apples. Don't stress to much about perfection here.
  4. Place the lid or plastic wrap on the top of the bowl. Leave a small vent open for steam to escape.
  5. Microwave on HIGH for 2:15.
  6. Be very careful removing the bowl from the microwave. It will be extremely hot and there will be steam. Use potholders here, it really helps.
  7. Give everything a quick little stir, and devour them!

28 Comments on ““Baked” Cinnamon Apples

1. sarah

These are a new favorite for me! I add a little shredded coconut to sweeten it just a bit. Delicious!!!

2. Jasmine

This was super yummy and easy, also super fast. It made it seem like breakfast was much more thought out than it really was, really I just grabbed what I had on hand. I also added pecan pieces and shredded coconut. Thanks!

3. Day 29: I’m Running Out of Things to Say | The Journey

4. Paleo Pointer: 25 Recipes for the Microwave | Cave Girl in the City

5. Paleo Desserts to Satisfy the Sweet Tooth

6. Denise

Super simple and yummy, thanks! Like apple pie :) But why did you take off the healthiest part? They taste great with the skins on and it takes one more step out of prep :)

1. Kendra Benson

I guess it’s just personal preference. I’m fine eating the peel on an uncooked apple, but once it’s cooked or dehydrated (like chips), the peel bothers me. If you prefer it on, go for it. I’m all for less work :) Glad you liked it.

7. Christi

I am wondering if I can use something else instead of the coconut oil! I have everything else in the house except the coconut oil and want to make these in the morning!! Thanks so much!

8. Healthy Breakfast Plan » Fast to Fresh

9. Sweet Alternatives - My Freckled Life

10. Indiigo | 51 Healthy Foods Your Toddler Will Actually Eat

11. The Best Whole30 Recipes • the new wifestyle

12. Kristin

cooking these in the microwave with a plastic lid or plastic wrap is still terribly harmful for your body! NOlastic should EVER go in the microwave. Who wants a side of plastic with their meal?!

13. Our Whole30 Experience | Mr.C & Me

14. 9 Apple Desserts That Are (Gasp) Better Than Apple Pie | Healthy Organic

15. 9 Desserts Better Than Apple Pie | etc459

16. 9 Apple Desserts Better Than Apple Pie - Rally Health

17. Deborah

Thank you! This was really good and SO easy! Satisfied the urge for something sweet without breaking any rules. I doubled the recipe for two and served it twice with our pork chops. The second time, I added 1/4 tsp of salt (to two servings) to bring out more of the apples’ sweetness, and I thought it was even better that way. I’m a salt-a-holic though, so YMMV. I’m sorry I didn’t see the comments about adding some shredded coconut, because I had it on hand. Oh, well, next time!

By the way, I bet covering the bowl with a plate or using a glass casserole with a tight-fitting lid would work nearly as well as plastic wrap, for those who are concerned. My guts are probably 99% plastic already from all the times I cooked in it before we all knew better, so I didn’t even think twice about using it to cover the bowl. I’ll try it with a lid or plate next time.

18. pam

I would like to start the whole 30 . I am trying to lose weight and I was told my blood sugar was high. Will this be a good diet for me? Just want to make my blood sugar stays stabilize. I am NOT a diabetic. Is there a book I can buy for meal plans, do’s and don’t on this whole 30 plan. And list of foods to eat and recipes?

19. Shelly

Any other ideas besides coconut oil? I’m allergic, but these look so good that I want to try them, just minus the epi-pen!!!!

20. Paleo Shake’N Bake | theskinnycavegirl