I used to make this dish all the time in my pre-paleo life. It was my go-to dish to bring to new moms, sick families, or anyone in need of good broccoli casserole. It is quick, easy, delicious, and filling with not many ingredients. But because it contained red potatoes, I sort of dismissed it as non-paleo and forgot about it. I know, stupid.
So I decided to breathe new life into a past favorite and will no doubt be making this super simple dish with baked chicken lit more often in the future. I’m sure I will sub cauliflower at times because that stuff is just freaking delicious. I’m sure Brussel sprouts in place of broccoli would be awesome as well, but whether using fresh or frozen broccoli it will turn out great.
PS: Yes, I know the picture is bad, I was dealing with crappy lighting and hungry kids, so you get what you get and you don’t pitch a fit. It’s still a great chicken and broccoli recipe
Chicken Broccoli Bake
- 2 heads Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 6 Chicken Thighs, I prefer mine boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato cubes in a 9×13 glass baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over them and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread out the chicken evenly in the dish and spread the veggies around and on top of the chicken evenly. Sprinkle the garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, uncovered. Remove from oven and let chicken rest a few minutes before serving to keep the juices inside.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 g
Amount Per Serving Calories 698Total Fat 55gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 166mgSodium 197mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 32g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate
Monday 29th of July 2019
Made this for dinner tonight. Best Whole30 recipe we’ve had! Thank you for the recipe! Will definitely make this again.
Wednesday 30th of January 2019
This was AMAZING!!! We used carrots instead of sweet potatoes, just because others did and I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes, other than the casserole during the holidays...WOW!!! Although, it took about 40 minutes longer than suggested time and I did cover with foil, just because others have said their broccoli burned. Thanks so much for the recipe!
Sunday 13th of January 2019
Could this be converted to a crock pot dish?
Wednesday 17th of October 2018
what if both your broccoli and chicken are frozen solid... i REALY dont want to thaw them lol... does the cooking time/heat change?
Monday 15th of January 2018
Do you have the macros for this recipe?
Monday 15th of January 2018
Yup, I just updated the post to include the macros (I'm still going through older recipes and getting them added). The macros are for 1/4 of the entire recipe (since we often eat more than just 1 thigh around here).