I originally made this recipe as written over on PaleOMG but thought it was too sweet, which is weird because I could eat a bowl of frosting and it wouldn’t phase me. So now that I’m doing the Whole30, I decided to leave out the honey altogether and was so happy with the results. This chicken has so much flavor and the onion/apple side is perfect with it.
- 1 lb Chicken Tenders
- 1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Sweet Apple, I like to use Galas, thinly sliced
- 2 Lemons, halved
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and apples to the skillet.
- Let the apples and onions cook down for a bit until they begin to become translucent. When they do, add juice of 1/2 lemon, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp onion powder and mix thoroughly to help combine and let caramelize. Turn the heat down a notch or two and continue to cook down, stirring occasionally.
- While the onions and apples continue to cook, heat another large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining olive oil.
- While the skillet heats up, salt and pepper your chicken and add them to the pan.
- While the chicken begins to cook, add the rest of your spices and lemon juice on top of the chicken.
- When the sides of the chicken begin to turn white, flip the chicken over.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, layer some caramelized apples and onions on a plate, and top them off with some chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 lb
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 1492mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 23g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate