Ever since I was little, pumpkin pie has been my favorite (even before PSLs became a “typical white girl” thing). Give me a slice (or 3) of a creamy pumpkin pie covered in whipped cream and I was good to go.
As an adult, I didn’t make a ton of pumpkin pies. My husband’s favorite is my Chocolate Pecan Pie, and I really love a classic Apple Pie (along with everyone else), so those were my two go-to holiday desserts. I do have some Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts, but that’s still not the same as a classic slice.
With the creation of my favorite grain-free pie crust, I knew it needed to be filled with my favorite pie. And I’m not going to lie, I’ve gone through lots of pumpkin pie recipes in the last 15 years and I always go back to the one on the back of the pumpkin puree can. This recipe follows that standard, but with a few minor paleo modifications.
Also, my 9″ pie plate isn’t considered “deep-dish” but I created this recipe to be more of a deep-dish size and it still fits my standard plate just perfectly. And who doesn’t love 30% more pie per slice? Exactly. It does add a little more bake time but it’s so worth it.
- 1 cup (150g) Maple or Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Real Salt
- 2 3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cans Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling), 15 oz cans
- 1 1/2 cans Full-Fat Coconut Milk, 13 oz cans
- 1 Unbaked Perfect Grain-Free Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all pie ingredients (except pie crust). Whisk or blend with a hand mixer until the filling is creamy and evenly combined.
- Pour into the unbaked pie crust and bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 50-60 minutes, or until the center is mostly set (it may still jiggle a little, that's fine) and a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- About halfway through baking, the crust may start to get pretty brown. Cover just the crust with a few strips of foil to prevent it from over-browning while the pie continues to bake.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 hours. Serve when cooled or place in fridge to cool completely and serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 23gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 604mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is calculated by a third party and may not be 100% accurate