Hot Bacon Honey Mustard Dressing Recipe
14+ years ago, I went on a date with a really great guy. Long story short, we got married. It was a good date. The date started at a local restaurant that had the world’s best salad and croissants. After a few years, the restaurant closed down and it’s been over a decade since I tasted what was the best salad dressing ever.
It wasn’t until just recently that it even crossed my mind to try and recreate the salad and dressing. I can’t really say how accurate I was in the recreation since it’s been so long, but this turned out so good that I don’t think it matters how closely it resembles the original.
House Salad Recipe (Hot Bacon Grease Trick)
The key to this dressing is the hot bacon grease. I know that might sound weird, and even a little gross, but I promise it’s what makes this dressing the best you’ll ever have. If you’re not already saving the grease from your bacon, you need to start. Simply strain it through a mesh sieve into a glass jar and store it in the fridge. Use it to cook up veggies and eggs instead of using other cooking fats.
This Hot Bacon Honey Mustard Dressing is dairy-free but the salad does have cheese added to it, so if you’re dairy-free, just omit the cheese and you’ve got a perfectly dairy-free meal. We like to make extras and have a side salad for lunch each day.
Dressing (yields approx. 3/4 cups)
- 3 Tbsp Paleo Lime Mayo
- 2 Tbsp Sir Kensington's Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- A few drops of your favorite hot sauce, optional
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 5 Tbsp Bacon Fat, melted and hot
- 1/2 head Iceburg Lettuce
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce
- 3/4 cup Smoked Ham Slices, chopped
- 3/4 cup Smoked Turkey Slices, chopped
- 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, leave out for dairy-free
- 6 Hard Boiled Eggs, sliced
- 20-24 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 8 slices Cooked Bacon, crumbled
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients except the bacon fat. Set aside.
- Add mixed greens to a large mixing bowl. Add in ham, turkey, shredded cheddar (if using), eggs, cherry tomatoes, almonds, and crumbled bacon. Toss to combine.
- Divide salad into 6 individual serving bowls.
- Stir the bacon fat into the prepared honey mustard dressing. Drizzle onto the individual salads.
- To make the Hot Bacon Honey Mustard Dressing in advance, combine all ingredients except bacon fat and store in the fridge. When ready to use, heat up the bacon fat and mix in right before pouring onto salad.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 508Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 246mgSodium 1172mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 6gSugar 11gProtein 27g