Hearty, cast iron skillet food the whole family will love. This cheeseburger casserole is loaded with nutrients and is the perfect meal prep recipe.
Hearty and Massively Nutritious Meal
We’ve written at length about all of the beneficial nutrients you get when consuming beef. For an in-depth analysis, read this post: Beef Benefits
This VERY LOW CARB meal is also a great option for meal planning. Make a large portion on a Sunday night and you’ll have several meals ready for the week. This Cheeseburger Casserole recipe tastes great reheated.
Ingredients for Cheeseburger Casserole
Find a high quality bacon source. Bacon is delicious but it gets it has a bad image due to the vilification of saturated fat. We’ve written a post on the history of saturated fat in America.
Grilled onions on a burger… yes please!
The versatility of beef is incredible and the nutrients are unparalleled. Check out this list of all of the nutrients found in beef.
Find a tomato paste with no sugar, a little goes a long way. View the recipe card below for how much you’re going to need.
Find a high quality canned brand.
Mustard is almost always Keto approved. However, there may be some brands that add sugar (it’s rare). Mustard > Ketchup
One of our favorite products of all time. If you haven’t yet tried the savory salt from Cardnl, it’s time.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
And of course, if you’re looking for that cheeseburger taste… cheddar is better.
Keto = Lower Blood Sugar
We’ve compiled a list of Keto approved foods to help you navigate the Keto Diet more easily. Also: ask us questions, we’re here to help. 🙂
- 1/2 lb Bacon Strips
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 of a 12-oz can Tomato Paste
- 1/2 of a 14-oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 tsp Cardnl Savory Salt
- 4 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Peel the onion and slice in half. Cut each half in half again, leaving the base intact. Very thinly slice the onion. Set aside.
- Dry the ground beef thoroughly with paper towels, pressing down firmly to ensure it's mostly dry throughout. Set aside.
- Using kitchen shears (this is the easiest method), cut the bacon into small pieces (no more than 1/2") and place in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Cook until crispy, but not overcooked. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions to the bacon grease in the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until onions are fragrant and translucent, stirring occasionally. Remove the onions from the skillet and add them to the reserved bacon. Turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and let brown (and slightly sear) on one side. Flip the beef as best as you can and brown/sear the other side. Break up with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until it is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, mustard, Savory Salt, bacon, and onions to the skillet. Stir to combine well.
- Top with cheddar cheese remove from the burner. Place under the broiler for a minute or two, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Remove from broiler and serve right away.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 701Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 191mgSodium 1746mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 60g