I recently discovered Zucchini Noodles. Once that happened, I knew I had to find a paleo spaghetti sauce to go on it. Then I thought “That’s dumb, I could just make my own”. I happened to have a bunch of tomato products in the pantry one day so I grabbed what I had and made a sauce. And it was fantastic! Too bad I didn’t have enough zucchini to make spaghetti for the family, so I ate it all myself. I’m generous like that.
This recipe makes approximately 8 cups, so cut in half if you won’t need that much. OR, you could preserve the rest by canning it, if you’re into that sort of thing. If you are, here are the water-bath directions (NOTE: this is from the Pick Your Own website, I haven’t done this, yet):
EDIT: Judi commented that you shouldn’t water-bath any food with meat in it, so if you’re making this recipe without the meat, you should be fine. Otherwise, stick to pressure canning or freezing the sauce.
Paleo Spaghetti SaucePrint
- 2 lb Ground Meat Beef, Italian Sausage, Turkey, Bison, etc.
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 (15 oz) can Tomato Sauce
- 2 (14 oz) can Diced Tomatoes drained, juice reserved
- 1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2-1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt start with 1 tsp, add more if you like it saltier
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the ground meat until cooked through. Drain excess fat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add diced onion and garlic to the meat. Cook until onions are slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste and stir to mix well.
- Add basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir well to combine.
Reduce heat to Low, cover, and let simmer for about 1 hour. If you can wait 2 hours, that’s even better. The flavors will mix together even more.
- If your sauce is too thick, you can add some of that reserved juice from the diced tomatoes. I found that I didn’t need to but it’s a personal preference.
- Serve over Zucchini Noodles for the perfect Paleo Spaghetti.