The Easiest Way to Jumpstart Your Metabolism & Kill Cravings
Reset and cleanse your body with budget-friendly & easy meal plan
Best Keto Kid Friendly Recipes
Okay. I get asked all the time how I can get my kids to eat healthier. It’s not that tough if you make the best kid-friendly recipes around! Here are 3, sure-to-please even the pickiest kid recipes that I love, from sloppy-joes to ‘fries’ to dessert, I’ve got you covered!
If you are struggling to get your kids healthy, here are some great tips:
Tell them, “Not every day is your birthday!”
While I like to let my kids have sugar and treat occasionally, for the most part, they eat pretty clean and whenever they complain, I remind them that not every day is your birthday! A great reminder for us adults too is that we don’t have to use food to treat ourselves and there are plenty of healthy options that we can enjoy every day.
Make them part of the food prep.
I love to get my kids helping me prepare meals. That way they can see what goes into food, and learn one of the most important life skills there is. Kids will often be drawn to eat their ‘creations’ as well, so let them go to town and make their own food!
Teach them where food really comes from.
When we grow our own food and get kids involved, something magical happens. They learn to appreciate food and will love exploring all varieties of veggies and fruit. There’s something so satisfying about picking fresh tomatoes and peppers from your garden and if your kids are anything like mine, they will be proud of what they harvested and grew and want to eat them too!
Make kid-friendly versions of your meals.
Any healthy meal can be made more kid-friendly with a little creativity. Cut up sandwiches into smaller bites, put food on sticks (they love food lollipops), make food colorful and fun and your kids will eat it!
1) Avocado Fries w/ Sun-dried Tomato Aioli
If your kids love fries and dips, try this healthier version with them tonight. My kids love these crispy, creamy-centered fries with a dip they adore. A super, simple recipe that will make them feel good and you feel better!
Avocado Fries are our favorite keto “fries” that are loaded with healthy fats and hardly any carbs. And that sun-dried tomato aioli? Perfection.
Avocado Fries w/ Sun-dried Tomato Aioli
Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli
- Combine all of the Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Cover and store in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (not required, but this helps with cleanup) and place an uncoated wire rack in the baking sheet. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 415°F.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and gently scoop the entire half out of the skin to keep the avo half intact. Place on a cutting board, flat-side down, and cut into slices about 1/2" thick. Repeat with both avocados and set aside.
- Add the egg to a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk until the white and yolk are completely blended.
- Add the almond flour, pork panko, and all spices to another wide, shallow bowl and stir until combined.
- Take one avocado slice and dredge in the flour/panko mixture (lightly coating both sides), then coat completely in the whisked egg, then back in the flour/panko mixture again.
- Lay the breaded avocado slices on the rack in the baking sheet. Spray them all generously with the avocado oil spray, turn them over and spray the other sides as well. Bake in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with the Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli.
2) Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
These sloppy joes are so much fun and a hit in our house! If you are strict keto, you can still enjoy this recipe (I like to make mine on lettuce buns) but of course, everyone can enjoy the low-carb cheddar biscuits this recipe calls for too! A fun, easy, any night dinner option for the entire family — half the fun is in the sloppiness!
Turns out, the combo of sloppy joes and cheeseburgers is a winner! And we also found that this meal is best served with Low Carb Cheddar Garlic Biscuits. So good! Add some chopped romaine and a slather of mayo on your biscuit and this is the perfect comfort food.
Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and place the bacon in a single layer on it. Put in the cold oven, turn it on to 400°F, and set the tier for 20 minutes. Remove the bacon when it is cooked and crispy (but not overcooked) and drain on paper towels. Dice into small bits when cool enough to handle.
- While the bacon is cooking, brown the ground beef in a large skillet. When completely browned, drain any excess grease.
- While the beef is browning, melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the onions and garlic and saute until translucent, browned, and fragrant.
- With the burner still turned on to medium heat, add the cooked onions/garlic, salt, pepper, chopped tomatoes, and mustard to the ground beef. Stir to combine everything evenly. Add the beef stock and cream and stir. Allow to gently simmer for about 3-5 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken slightly (there will still be liquid in the pan).
- Add the diced bacon and the shredded cheese to the skillet. Stir to mix everything together and to allow the cheese to melt into the mixture.
- Nutrition Facts do not include biscuits or waffles
3) Herbal Tea Gummy Bears
And, for dessert, we have one of my kid’s favorite keto candies — our herbal tea gummy bears that are so much fun to eat. I love taking an afternoon with my kids to make these and they can be made in so many flavors, colors and are sugar-free. Make a batch today and tell me how much you love them too!
These deliciously adorable gummy bears are loaded with gut-healing gelatin, polyphenols, and antioxidants. These are perfect for kids’ snacks or a way to boost your health at any time in a delicious way.
Herbal Tea Gummy Bears
- Add the cold water in a wide, shallow bowl, this will help distribute the gelatin a little better. Gently and slowly sprinkle the gelatin over the entire surface of the water, adding more as the first layers soften. Continue until all the gelatin is in the water. Let sit for about 3 minutes.
- Place the bowl over a small saucepan that has an inch of water in it. Turn the heat up to medium and bring the water to a simmer. Heat the gelatin & water until the gelatin fully dissolves, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the Pique tea crystals and stir to dissolve. Only heat the gelatin water enough to melt the gelatin, do not bring it to a boil or let it get over 170°F. Remove the bowl from heat.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of honey and stir completely until dissolved. Taste, and add more honey if needed. Using a dropper (I use a turkey baster, which isn't as effective but it gets the job done), fill the gummy bear molds, or larger shaped molds, if desired.
- Transfer molds to the fridge and let chill for about 20 minutes or more, until the gummies have solidified. Remove the gummies from the molds and keep them in an airtight container in a cool place. The gummies will soften and lose their shape at temperatures over 80-85°F.
- You will definitely get more flavor, color, and benefits if you use 4 sachets of Pique, but we've tested this using just 2 sachets and have gotten tasty results as well, so the amount you use is completely up to you.
- We've used anywhere from 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of honey per batch. My kids prefer a little less honey. You can start with 2 tablespoons, taste, then add more if you think it's needed.
- I can't say how many gummy bears this makes, since I always do half bears/half larger molds when I make this.