Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Stuffed peppers is one of those dinners that is so easy to make but looks elegant enough for dinner guests. Back in our pre-paleo days, I would load up on rice and cheese in our peppers, and all that really did was add bulk, not nutrients and real substance. The beauty of now making grain-free, dairy-free stuffed peppers is that we’re actually getting more nutrients in the same amount of food.
This recipes makes a lot, which means plenty for dinner and leftovers. If your peppers are on the smaller side, you will need more peppers or you will have extra filling leftover. Which is actually fine, you can eat the filling on its own and it’s just as good (just less pepper taste).
We love these served with a big scoop of guacamole and a drizzle of ranch dressing. And if you’re in a pinch and have some avocados but no other guac ingredients, just dice up the avocados and sprinkle them on top.
Paleo Stuffed Peppers
- 1 medium Yellow Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil or Olive Oil + more for baking dish
- 1 lb Grass-Fed Ground Beef or Bison
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can Diced Jalapenos or Mild Green Chiles drained
- 1/2 can Black Olives drained and sliced
- 3 large Bell Peppers halved and seeded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 glass baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground bison/beef, cumin, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper to the skillet and cook until the bison/beef is completely browned, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes, drained jalapenos/chiles, and 1/2 of the olives until evenly combined. Remove from heat.
- Using a large cookie scoop (easiest) or a spoon, scoop the meat mixture into the hollowed out pepper halves. sprinkle the remaining half of black olives on top of the stuffed peppers.
- Place the peppers, cut side up, in the oiled baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.