Several months after creating this post I came up with a real cheat-style Keto Fat Bomb. It’s so good that it feels like cheating but it’s got over 70% of its calories from fat. It’s really good! So after you’re done reading this post, check it out.
See our Keto Food List and our Ketosis blog post.
Beginner Keto Meal Plan Example
Here’s a day in the life (snapshot) of what eating keto looks like. At the time of writing this, I’m a 36 year old, healthy, active male.
When you first understand what the Keto Diet is the next thought is: “How do I get that much fat in my diet?” Hopefully this post will help you understand how you can create a super simple keto meal plan for yourself.
If you need to read more on “what is the Keto diet” read this.
Monitoring Caloric Intake
Think of your food intake in terms of percentages. Estimations: you will need to get 70% (or more) of your calories from fat, 20% of calories from protein, and less than 10% of calories from carbs.
- 1 gram of fat = 9 calories
- 1 gram of protein = 4 calories
- 1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 calories
By the Numbers
For this example, everything in this daily keto food list equals:
- 2,225 Calories
- 175g Fat = 1,575 calories (70.8%)
- 136g Protein = 544 calories (24.4%)
- 26.5g Carbs = 106 calories (4.8%)
When I Wake Up
First thing after waking up I’ll take Magnesium (Natural Calm).
Magnesium is essential in the body. One thing it helps in is regulating blood glucose (which is important).
Although some 50% of Americans do not meet recommended levels of magnesium intake, the extent of prevalent magnesium deficiency is unknown. Given magnesium’s role in a multitude of chronic conditions which are increasingly common across the globe, here we summarize recently published literature reporting prevalent hypomagnesaemia in generally representative populations, and in populations with type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity. On the basis of these studies, we estimate that up to a third of the general population may be magnesium deficient, and that outside of acute clinical encounters or hospitalization, hypomagnesaemia is likely frequently overlooked in general clinical practice.
Magnesium deficiency is fairly common among people who “eat keto” too. This is due to the fact the ketogenic diet has a diuretic impact on the body. With this in mind I consume two servings (morning & night) as recommended. This spread is to ensure my body is absorbing what it needs.
Then it’s on to some herbal tea, MCT Oil and Coconut Butter. The tea is just a good delivery system for the MCT Oil and Coconut Butter. And… I don’t drink coffee.
- Coconut Butter / 105 calories / 10.5 fat / 1 protein / 1.5 carb
- MCT Oil / 126 calories / 14 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- TOTALS / 231 calories / 24.5 fat / 1 protein / 1.5 carb
Time for Breakfast
Breakfast is really simple: 3 eggs, 6 pieces of Bacon and half an Avocado. Don’t be afraid to spice it up (with seasoning)… and get creative with your eggs.
- 3 Eggs / 219 calories / 15 fat / 18 protein / 3 carb
- 6 pcs Bacon / 258 calories / 18 fat / 18 protein / 0 carb
- 1/2 Avocado / 104 calories / 10 fat / 2 protein / 1 carb
- TOTALS / 581 calories / 43 fat / 38 protein / 4 carb
Down a serving of KetoCaNa before you head out to the gym (great source of Ketones). KetoCaNa can result in significant decreases in oxygen demand among other benefits.
- TOTALS / 55 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
Time for Lunch
Lunch has got your back with pan fried chicken tenders, honey mustard sauce for dipping and a nice toasty plate of roasted veggies.
- 9oz (5) Chicken Tenders / 288 calories / 8 fat / 55 protein / 0 carb
- 2 tbsp Mayo / 180 calories / 20 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- 2 tsp Mustard / 6 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- 1/2 tbsp Honey / 34 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 8 carb
- 1/2 c Brussels Sprouts / 16 calories / 0 fat / 2 protein / 2 carb
- 1/2 c Cauliflower / 10 calories / 0 fat / 1 protein / 2 carb
- 1 tbsp Butter / 102 calories / 12 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil / 124 calories / 14 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- TOTALS / 760 calories / 44 fat / 58 protein / 12 carb
Just a Little Snack
When maintaining ketosis you will not crave sweets or feel like you need to snack. However, mentally, it’s snack time! Dukes and (1) ounce of cheese.
- 2 Dukes / 130 calories / 11 fat / 7 protein / 1 carb
- 1 oz Cheese / 109 calories / 9 fat / 7 protein / 0 carb
- TOTALS / 239 calories / 20 fat / 14 protein / 1 carb
Let’s Eat Dinner
A loaded Salad with the amazing Hot Bacon Dressing + the second half of your Avocado (from earlier).
- 1 c Salad Greens / 8 calories / 0 fat / 1 protein / 1 carb
- 2 oz Chicken Breast / 58 calories / 2 fat / 11 protein / 0 carb
- 1/4 Slice of Bacon / 11 calories / 1 fat / 1 protein / 0 carb
- 1/4 Bell Pepper / 5 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 1 carb
- 1/4 Carrot / 5 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 1 carb
- 1 tbsp Mayo / 90 calories / 10 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- 1 tsp Mustard / 3 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 0 carb
- 1/4 tbsp Honey / 17 calories / 0 fat / 0 protein / 4 carb
- 1/2 Slice Bacon / 22 calories / 2 fat / 2 protein / 0 carb
- 1/2 Avocado / 104 calories / 10 fat / 2 protein / 1 carb
- TOTALS / 323 calories / 44 fat / 25 protein / 8 carb
And right before bed, take Magnesium (Natural Calm).
A day like this (followed by many more just like it) will help you get in to and maintain a state of ketosis. This means your body will be powered mostly by fat and not blood sugar (from the carbs). If you’re planning on experimenting, make sure to get Ketone strips. These little strips will help you monitor your Ketone levels.
I really like experimenting with adjusting what I eat. Remove this for (x) number of weeks, then see what happens. But doing that… it’s sometimes hard to track what’s actually occurring. When getting in to Ketosis, those little strips keep you honest. You’ll want to avoid cheating due to the fact that you can measure your success in a real, ongoing way. You eat too many carbs and you’ll see your failure right there on a little pee strip. You stay on track and you’re rewarded with the acknowledgement that your body is in Ketosis.
When in Ketosis you experience fat loss, better mental agility and physical ability.
Click the Image to Learn More about Keto: